Join ecologist and foraging enthusiast, Marie Louise Heffernan, on a “Seaweed Walk” along Connemara’s Wild Atlantic Way.Strolling along the strand, wellied and waterproofed walkers will have the opportunity to pick specimens for identification in one of Ireland’s most beautiful coastlines. This is a unique opportunity to …discover wonderful recipes for seaweeds and coastal plants.
Aims and Objectives
1. Learn to recognise common seaweeds (Channel wrack, bladderwrack, purple laver, sea lettuce, gut weed, dillisk and carrigeen)
2. Identify seaweeds using a simple key
3. Discover where, and when, to find them on the seashore.
4. Discuss the legal and safety issues of seaweed collection
5. Learn what each seaweed is used for and how to prepare them.
Bring waterproof clothes, suitable footwear, a plastic bag and a scissors.